Saturday, June 24, 2006

Nighttime Running

Me and my friend Jeremy went for a run tonight (er... this morning), my second for the summer. My first was two days ago. We even went to see my other friend Papa on the way. It's amazing to me how good a shape I'm still in considering I haven't done much in the way of a workout for years. It's also amazing to me in how bad a shape Jeremy is in considering he actually does work out occasionally and is going to boot camp in the fall.

The fact that Jeremy is joining the military is a tender subject to me because of several reasons. The first and foremost reason is the why he's joining the military. He says its because he wants an education, but the sad fact is the only reason he isn't going to college is because he never felt like applying. There may be other reasons that he is joining such as money and job security or even a chance to travel but these are not worth joining an institution which causes pain in peoples lives all over the world on a daily basis. I know a lot of readers will kill me for saying so but the military exists for one reason: force, and thats exactly what it gets used for.

The next reason why Jeremy should not join the military is because of who he is. Jeremy is an individual. He may think that the military is a safe place for him, actually he does think that it is safe based on what he has told me. "They won't ship me off until I get x years of training." "They will let me do programming." "It is illegal for them to even touch me." (on the subject of drill sergeants and boot camp.) "I will be an officer as soon as I join based on my ASVAB scores." All this drivel he has fed me is disgraceful as these kinds of comments are all spoken in defense of his joining, whenever I bring the subject up and ask him questions. These comments don't mean anything without real experience; and I would gather that he is actually just repeating whatever the recruiters told him. I am afraid that he will get a wake up call during the first few days of boot camp, though that will be a few days too late. I am afraid that after his training he will be assimilated for life in the military and that his own unique self will be lost forever.

For those of you who don't know me I am a radical pacifist, and joining the military is against all of who I am. I am disappointed that Jeremy could do this without even consulting his friends or even his family first. Not only did he not consult us but he shrugged off any advice we offered him after he was sold by the recruiters spiel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home